Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sweet Ivan

At night, food stalls line a lot of streets in Chiang Mai and they're lit up just like a county fair. All kinds of things are sold at those stalls--gelatinous green desserts, roasted chicken, shish kebabs, sweet soy milk, french fries, beer, and a million other treats. All this mixed with diesel fumes and moped whines and dirt takes me straight back to the White County Fair.
It's fair time back home, isn't it?

The White County Fair is an event of mythical proportions in my memory. My dear grandfather (Sweet Ivan) was president of the fair board in our county, so the fair was a family event for me. What could top the rodeos, horse shows, funnel cakes, merchant exhibits, exotic carnies, nauseating rides and demolition derbies of a county fair?
If you know of something, I challenge you: leave me a comment.
(It can't include a Johnny Cash or Dolly Parton performance at a county fair.)

4 comments:

joshuadf said...

I loved the county fair as a kid. We used to sneak into the 4-H tent and grab bunnies and eat them raw! Delicious!

Unknown said...

It always seems to rain at the time of the county fair, too. The wet slop mixed w/ all the other flavors make for a real treat in & around the cattle barns, and other livestock areas...

nice to catch up w/ my young friends, 1/2 way (?3/4) of the way around the world

Paul S.

Chris and Stephanie said...

It was a family event for all of us, and no fair could ever measure up. My favorite part of Papa being the president was getting to use the clean bathrooms! No porta-potties for us!

Anonymous said...

Good post.